3 Best Alternative Tools of 2019 to Test Speed
Among the most debated and researched topic in the WordPress community, as well as the entire website development sphere is WordPress site speed. All website visitors want a fast website, where they are capable of browsing pages on a site as quickly as possible.
Over the past few years, we have realized that our clients get disappointed by the scores their websites get after examining the speed using Google PageSpeed Insights tool. In this article, we will discuss why Google PageSpeed Insights tool is not effective for examining speed.
Here is an explanation of this tool according to Google. Please note the last sentence.
PageSpeed Insight tool examines how a page works on both mobile and desktop devices. This tool detects the URL twice; from a mobile user and a desktop user.
Also, this tool tests if a page is using the usual functioning best practices and offers a score within the range of 0-100 points. The score is in either of these three categories:
Note: There are continuous improvements for PageSpeed Insights, to provide modern performance best practices. So, as times go, the scores will also change. A higher score corresponds to a swift user encounter, although it is not guaranteed.
From above, Google has indicated that the site is among the indicators applied by its algorithm in the ranking of pages. Besides this, the study shows that Google may be particularly time to initial byte while considering page speed.
Also, a slow page speed signifies that search engines are only capable of crawling a few pages with their assigned crawl budget. In turn, this might have a negative impact on your site’s index. This indicates load time is crucial for better rankings and user encounter.
Facts about Google PageSpeed Insights tool
- 1This tool tests do not apply to actual devices. Instead, it gets a site that has a blink renderer which imitates both desktop and mobile devices.
- 2It provides performance recommendations on areas which require enhancement. Since PageSpeed is a performance optimization tool, it provides suggestions that are biased to favor speed. You should analyze the exchanges for your application. Reason being, some of its suggestions requires a lot of effort to establish. Therefore, you should assess the cost of implementing changes against the advantages your page will have.
- 3PageSpeed Insights examines a page is using normal performance best practices. Most of its rules originated from suggestions offered by developers in the web community through published blog posts and articles. Google developers provided additional rules as per study and internal utilization by Google apps.
Myths about Google PageSpeed Insights tool
- 1You will rank higher in Google if your score is higher. Unfortunately, this is not guaranteed, and it does not happen always. As stated earlier, page load is the exact thing that Google uses for ranking factors. Thus, addressing the suggestions offered by PageSpeed Insights might earn you some speed, resulting in increased rankings.
- 2An ideal score makes your site faster. This does not apply always; although PageSpeed Insights examines the normal speed best practices, getting an ideal score on all the factors does not equate to a faster site.
- 3PageSpeed Insights tool examines real speed. False; the report has nothing indicating the duration a page took to load. As per Google, load time is whatever it will be looking for as a ranking factor.
Here are 3 best alternatives tools For page speed Test
These alternatives are perfect for testing the speed of your site, as well as providing real page load time that is essential for Google ranking, and your site’s visitors.
1. WEBPAGE TEST
This tool enables you to perform a free site speed test from many locations all over the world using actual browsers like Chrome and Internet Explorer, as well as actual consumer connection speeds.
Besides this, you can perform either easier tests, or complex tests that comprises of many-step transactions, content blocking, and video capture among others. WEBPAGETEST tool provides outcomes with rich diagnostic information; comprised of recommendations for enhancements, Page speed optimization tests, and resource loading charts.
Undoubtedly, everyone hates a slow website. Luckily, PINGDOM website speed test tool was made to assist you in analyzing your website’s load speed, as well as helping you study the means you can use to make your sites faster.
This tool allows you to know the exact cause of a page being slow, fast, or big, as well as some of the best practices that you are not applying among. Also, it is user-friendly to both professionals and beginners. Basically, the tool is user-friendly to enable web developers, and webmasters optimize websites with ease.
A Summary of Features
3. GT METRIX
This tool provides a clear overview of your page performance as per main signs of page load speed. Here is what it does:
Playback Your Page Loads Using Videos
This tool allows you to record your page loads, and determine the exact point of stoppages or issues.
Although Google PageSpeed Insight tool is popular for measuring page speed, its outcomes are biased to favor speed. Therefore, you can a real overview of your site’s performance by using the above alternative tools, which offer appropriate recommendations.
If you have other speed test tools to suggest or have any other questions, use our comment section.
If you are facing any WordPress related issues, you can consult WordPress experts.